September 07, 2013

blue

NOTE:  This was a post I started back in January and was unable to finish at the time.  Tonight I finally feel able to give it what it needed.

I'm feeling a bit blue today.  Not because the Christmas festivities are over, because in this house the fun never ends!  Ha ha ha.   My boys are in full tilt building, playing, reading, jumping, wearing, and whatever else kids need to do to try out their new stuff.  I have to say they are getting along really well so it's good.  Our Christmas was festive and fun but definitely a little low key.

My grandfather passed away Christmas Eve morning.  He's been really sick for a long time and just as recently as last week had another heart attack, so we knew it was forthcoming.  He was such an amazing man, full of life, fun, and laughter.  He was a true jokester and entertainer.  He was a real life cowboy and  MacGuyver, I kid you not.  Ask my brothers about the shop-vac chipmunk catcher or my husband about the bumble bee he watched him shoot straight out of the sky with a BB gun.  He was quick with a hug and a kind word and a world class watercolor artist.  He was a man who LIVED life.  I feel so blessed to have known him and have him be a part of my life.  As kids we spent a lot of time at Grandma and Grandpa Wonderful's house doing things that you only do with grandma and grandpa's.  Like eating ice cream in bed with giant jaw breakers watching silly movies.  I feel okay that he's with angels playing golf, painting, and telling jokes.  What saddens me is the other stuff.  Like that fact my boys never met Gramps in person and discover the amazing man he was.  That I didn't get to hug him one more time and tell him I loved him.  That my grandma has had to see her husband in pain and know there wasn't much to be done.  That his kids and my grandma's kids will all be sad to have lost a person who meant so much to them all. 


This past year during spring break, the west coast side of the family decided to get together and remember my grandfather.  We all met for a few days in beautiful Capitola, Ca.  We all brought pictures and countless memories to share.  We had a great family meal and shared our most favorite memories that meant the most to us.  We laughed a lot and cried a bit as well.  At the end of our evening we set off floating lanterns on the beach in his memory.  It was the prettiest sight and seemed just perfect.  He meant so much to so many.  However, I know that any time his name is mentioned in our family it is with true love in our hearts and smiles in our voices and on our faces.  He was a fine example of the way life should be lived.

No comments: